- 15 medium green Thai chillies
- 1 tbsp fresh galangal
- 2 tbsp lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp zest of kaffir limes, chopped (substitute with zest of regular limes if not available)
- 2 tbsp scraped and chopped coriander root (from the stems of fresh coriander)
- 3 tbsp red shallots, chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp chopped fresh turmeric
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, roasted and ground
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, roasted and ground
- 10 white peppercorns
- 1 tsp shrimp paste (substitute for fermented tofu in brine for a vegetarian / vegan version of this recipe)
- Put all ingredients in a blender – except the shrimp paste – and blend until smooth. You might need to use a little water to get the blending started. Never use oil in your paste!
- When the paste is smooth, add the shrimp paste and blend a little more.
- Use or store in a glass container in the fridge. Will keep for a few weeks.
Music to go with it…
Listen on Spotify: Emily Rice – Find Me Here