Roast chicken is a classic Sunday favorite. This variation has a delicious summery taste to it as a result of the lemon juice in which it is basted. As a variation, try sprinkling with a little pimenton along with the salt and pepper.
- 1 whole roast chicken (approximately 1.5kg)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp ghee
- 2 garlic cloves
- fresh oregano and thyme
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon halved
- juice of 1 lemon
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Place the chicken in an oven proof baking tray.
- Rub the cavity of the chicken gently with one half of the lemon.
- Slice the other half of the lemon and place it into the cavity of the chicken.
- Add the garlic cloves, thyme and oregano into the cavity as a stuffing
- Insert your hand under the skin of the chicken and rub with 1 tsp of the ghee
- Rub the top of the skin of the chicken with the other 1 tsp of the ghee.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the top of the chicken.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Put into the oven to cook for 20 minutes
- Remove from the oven and squeeze the juice of the other half of the lemon over the chicken. Return to the oven.
- Bake for 40 minutes more or until the juice of the chicken runs clear when you separate the leg of the chicken from the body of the chicken.
- Serve with sweet potato fries, and broccoli with fried garlic, or grilled courgettes with pomegranate and pesto.
Music to go with it…
Listen on Spotify: Oscar and the Wolf – Entity