This recipe is truly East meets West. Indian Garam Masala flavoured meat, with a pesto sauce that is inspired by the flavours of Italy. It is a delicious combination that really works, and which our son is a big fan of, especially when there are sweet potato chips from our Air Fryer to dip in the pesto sauce.
For the pesto
- Large handful of basil
- 3 garlic cloves
- Handful of toasted pine nuts
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
For the burgers
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 cm fresh ginger, chopped or grated
- 2 mushrooms, finely chopped
- Handful of fresh coriander
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 heaped tsp ground cumin
- 1 heaped tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Himalayan rock salt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- First make the pesto by putting all the ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- To make the burgers, put all ingredients in a large bowl and mix with your hands until everything is combined properly.
- Wet your hands and make a burger about the size of a tennis ball. Wet your hands before every burger. You should be able to make around 6 burgers.
- Put all the burgers on a plate and set in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Heat a little coconut oil in a frying pan and fry the burgers for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until done to your liking.
- Serve with the pesto, avocado slices and sweet potato chips.
Music to go with it…
Listen on Spotify: Hindi Zahra – Handmade