In Singapore it is always salad weather, which means that we tend to eat them a lot. But continuing to get variation into our diet is important to us, we don’t like to eat boring! Last night I decided to spice up a chicken and lettuce salad with a little Avocado Vinaigrette. This looks a lot like a mayonnaise when it is finished, but has the tartness of a vinaigrette.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- juice of half a lemon
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a blender combine the avocado, vinegar, lemon juice, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper. Blend together
- Lift the lid of the blender just enough that you are able to pour in the olive oil in a continuous stream while the blender is still running. Note: do not take the lid off completely as you will end up with avocado all around your kitchen and that is not a pretty sight…
- Pour the olive oil into the blender in a slow steady stream so that it all combines together. The dressing will be a little bit runnier than mayonnaise, but with a similar consistency. Please don’t expect that it will taste like a mayonnaise though, because it has the tartness of a vinaigrette instead.
- Use as a dressing on a salad to make a Caesar style salad. We added lettuce leaves, sliced chicken, sliced cucumber, sliced radishes and mint leaves for a refreshing dinner salad.
Music to go with it…
Listen on Spotify: Breaks Co-op – Sounds Familiar