These sweet potato rostis (cakes), use easily sourced ingredients to make a delicious snack. Serve topped with Mango Passionfruit Salsa for a delicious mid afternoon snack or pre-dinner canape.
- 500g sweet potatoes
- 1 small (red) onion
- 2 eggs (separate the yolks and whites)
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp sweet potato flour
- 1 medium red chilli pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- freshly ground black pepper
- coconut oil for cooking
- Grate the sweet potatoes. Put the grated sweet potatoes into a tea towel and squeeze out as much of the juice as possible. They need to be dry for making the cakes.
- Retain the sweet potato liquid in a bowl. Let it sit for a few minutes until the starch and water separate. Retain the starch, but drain the water away.
- Put the sweet potato, onion, egg yolks, salt, pepper, starch, spring onions, ghee, chilli and garlic in a bowl and mix well.
- Beat the egg whites until peaks form and fold gently into the sweet potato mixture.
- Heat some coconut oil in a pan. Spoon in the mixture and press down with a wooden spoon to form cakes that are approximately 10cm round, and 1/2 cm thick.
- Fry the little cakes for about 4 minutes on each side or until crispy.
- Serve topped with Mango Passionfruit Salsa
Music to go with it…
Listen on Spotify: Hospitality – Trouble