While this recipe reads like a side dish, if you use large enough courgettes, it can also be the main dish. Add a simple lettuce for a full meal.
- 1 green courgette (zucchini)
- 1 yellow courgette (zucchini)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 2 slices parma ham, chopped
- 500g minced lamb
- 100g mushrooms, chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped, seeds discarded.
- 1/2 Tbsp Lebanese seven spice powder
- salt and pepper
- handful of fresh mint
- handful of fresh oregano
- handful of pine nuts
- coconut oil
- Scoop the meat of the courgette. Place it into a tea towel and squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Heat a frying pan with a little coconut oil. Fry the onion and garlic over a moderate heat until it is golden brown and fragrant.
- Add the parma ham and cook for a couple of minutes until crispy.
- Add the minced lamb to the pan and cook it until it is all brown – about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and chopped courgette meat (removed from the courgettes) to the pan and cook them through – about 5 minutes.
- Add the Lebanese seven spice powder, salt and pepper to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Fill the courgettes with the mince mixture, top with the pine nuts, and place on an oven tray, and cook in the oven at 180 degrees C for 8-10 minutes until the courgettes have softened.
- Garnish the filled courgettes with the pine nuts, fresh herbs and a little freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve with a simple salad to make a complete meal.
Music to go with it…
Listen on Spotify: Damien Jurado – Brothers and Sisters of the Eternal Son