Duck is a flavorsome meat, and this powerfully flavoured sauce makes a rich combination, that is quite impressive to serve. The ingredients can be a little expensive to buy, but it does make a wonderful dish for a special occasion. Serve with a salad and sweet potato chips.
- 2 large duck breasts, skin on
- coconut oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Pomegranate seeds to garnish
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cm fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 100 ml organic pomegranate juice (check the label carefully to avoid added sugar and additives. The one we found was in a glass jar, and imported from America.)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp manuka honey
- 50 ml fresh orange juice
- pinch of ground cloves
- 5 thyme sprigs
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Make a few cuts in the fat / skin of the duck breast. Brush with a little coconut oil and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Fry in an oven proof pan for 5 minutes skin side down on a moderate heat. Turn the duck over and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Put all of the sauce ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the duck, and put the pan with duck and sauce into the oven to cook for around 5 minutes (depending on the size of the duck breast it might take a little more or less time).
- Garnish with fresh coriander and pomegranate seeds to serve.
Music to go with it…
Listen on Spotify: Burning Spear – Marcus Garvey / Garvey’s Ghost