This recipe pairs a big flavoured sauce with a big flavoured meat – passionfruit and orange sauce with duck breast. Our son also liked dipping the broccoli and turnip fries that we made to go with it in the sauce.
- 1 or 2 duck breasts (depending on how many you are cooking for)
- Juice of 1 large orange
- pulp of 2 large passionfruit (or 3 smaller ones)
- 1/2 a red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- few thyme sprigs
- ghee or coconut oil
- Fry the duck in a little ghee or coconut oil in a medium hot frying pan around 6 minutes on each side – starting with skin side.
- Get rid of most of the duck fat from the pan, but retain 1 Tbsp.
- Fry onion for a few minutes in the 1 Tbsp of Duck fat. Add the garlic and from for 1 more minute.
- Add orange, passionfruit, honey and balsamic vinegar. Cook until reduced to a thick sauce. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the pan. Add thyme and stir.
- Serve the orange and passionfruit sauce on the duck breasts, along with sweet potato fries or turnip fries and a salad or broccoli with fried garlic
Music to go with it…
Listen on Spotify: Drive by Truckers – English Oceans